Coastal Currents: Mussel Malaise

Mike Dronkers / Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2013 @ 2:32 p.m.

Health officials are often concerned about high levels of shellfish-borne paralytic toxins. Should you accidentally ingest what country health officials are desperately trying to keep off your plate, your lips will start to tingle within a couple of minutes. Within the hour, your fingers and toes will follow suit. It's downhill from there.

According to the Times-Standard

These symptoms are typically followed by loss of balance, lack of muscular coordination, slurred speech and difficulty swallowing. In severe poisonings, complete muscular paralysis and death from asphyxiation can occur.

Today on Coastal Currents, Shannon Hinrichs from the county's Division of Environmental Health explains. 

Mussel coastal currents

For updated information about shellfish poisoning and quarantines, call the state's “Shellfish Information Line” at 1-800-553-4133.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Thanks to Precision Intermedia for their great work on this site.